SOMS (Service Operating Model Skills) is a new framework designed by experts from the Centre for Service Management at Loughborough University to help specify the skills required for organisations and individuals to effectively design, implement and maintain operating models.
SOMS supports organisations that deliver management training by auditing their material against the framework; these accredited organisations can then award their own SOMS certificates to clients and staff. SOMS-accredited organisations have their training material, delivery and assessments audited and are registered with SOMS for two years.
Benefits to gaining a SOMS qualification
Advantages to accredited organisations
- Be confident that you are covering the appropriate range of materials for training people in operating model design, implementation and maintenance.
- You have the ability to award certificates that adhere to an academically developed framework provides a competitive advantage to the accredited organisation.
Advantages to certified individuals
There are three levels of certification: Foundation, Practitioner and Senior Practitioner.
- Foundation – Demonstrates you have attended a course and passed an assessment comprising all seven elements of the SOMS framework
- Practitioner – Demonstrates your ability to apply SOMS to your company’s operating model and that you have competed two projects typically over 18 months (or one large project) that addresses all of the seven SOMS elements
- Senior Practitioner – Demonstrates your ability to lead a major operating model design or redesign typically over two to three years.
For more information, please visit the SOMS website by clicking on the image below.